Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Getting the Hang of This

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 56:24
AvHR: 138
Pace: 9:27


Tonight - I finally got it. I managed to keep a pace going. I didn't ever have to slow to a complete shuffle. Instead - I flowed along nicely, anticipating rising heart rates and pretty much avoiding anything going over 143. And the times I didn't, I stopped, walked a few paces as I took a drink of water, and then resumed as my HR dropped rapidly.

I've decided to do this route (to the Ewell bypass and back) once a week to see how I'm progressing. I desperately need that pace to come down. My target time for FLM means that I need to be able to run 7:50 pace comfortably. Fortunately, I *think* I can run at a higher HR and still not get too much of a lactic build up. Which after all is the objective. I'm just very conscious of lack of time. I only have three months, and I'm trying a technique that takes a long time. Maybe I should just stick with more conventional training and blast it every night?

Weight was up this morning - no idea why - been eating healthy and exercising more than I've done for a while.



4 Comments:

At 6 January 2005 at 12:41, Blogger Evil Pixie said...

you've expressed my own thoughts Bear. Base makes a lot of sense but I don't have the time especially as my base work is almost twice as slow as yours! So I'm just running as I feel comfy which is about 12min pace on long runs *pre cold!* but about 79% of HR but I keep that going for over 2hrs ... maybe my max HR Is higher than 206, I don't know.
Well done anyway!
Pix

 
At 7 January 2005 at 00:38, Blogger Cath Delaney said...

Same here Bear. My base training efforts were rubbish so I do what Pix does and just run at a comfy pace. At the moment (pre-flu) it's working out around 10.5-11m/mile pace. Which, for me is pretty darn good. You're doing good though. Can't believe you lost weight over Xmas. I didn't and I only had soup and lucozade! (sulk)

;o)

 
At 9 January 2005 at 01:22, Blogger beanz said...

I too am aiming for FLM, but am sticking with base training - I am so slow anyway I don't have a target time - just want to finish with a smile (and tears no doubt) so I am trying to do base training every day and sticking in one LSD at the weekend.

I guess we all just have to find what works for us.

 
At 9 January 2005 at 13:52, Blogger XFR Bear said...

Fair enough Beanz - I think not aiming for more than a finish is a good attitude first time. I somewhat dampened my first marathon by getting peed off about not meeting my target time.

Having done three now though, the time means a lot to me - still haven't decided what to do.

Today's thirteen miler will probably take about 2:15 if I base train, and a 22 will take nearly four hours! I can't afford that sort of time :oS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home