Friday, January 14, 2005

The Twilight Zone?

Time: 54:41
Distance: 6 miles
AvHR: 139


Great run - everything went smoothly, with barely any walk breaks - even on the steepest hills. Even when I did need to stop, it was just for 20 seconds walking before the HR dropped again.

Just a couple of problems - early on in the run, when my HRM suddenly went from a single bleep (below target range - i.e. below 137) to a double beep - meaning that it had shot to over 144. In fact it had shot up to the 160s. So I stopped. And then it shot up to the mid 180s the first time, and no less to 220 the second time. While I was stopped!! I fiddled with the monitor, but couldn't get it to go down, and eventually took it off and refastened it. The second time this seemed to work, and I went on to have a most enjoyable run. The freak readings for several minutes though may well have knocked up the average HR by at least one BPM.

I've refined my thinking on my new base training index. Multiplying the two values together is good, but this leaves me with wanting to reduce the number, and anyhow - it's rather a big value. My new version is calculated as follows. It doesn't take into account distance, so it assumes the same course, but I run the route a lot anyhow. Here it is:

BT index = 10000/(pace per mile x average heart rate)

Here the pace per mile was around 9:07, or about 9.1 mins/mile, so we have

BT index = 10000/(9.1 x 139) = 7.91

Not sure what name I should give these! I feel they deserve some fancy name that means something to base trainers. 7.91 panties maybe?!?

2 Comments:

At 28 January 2005 at 23:22, Blogger beanz said...

not sure what this index tells us - but good fun anyway!

I suppose the index should go up as we get fitter.

Will have to go away and plug it into my spreadhseet now - another thing to distract me from work!!

 
At 29 January 2005 at 19:09, Blogger XFR Bear said...

Yeah - that's the idea.

If average HR goes down or pace per mile goes down then the index goes up.

probably doesn't have any great significance, just a bit of fun since a lot of BTers seem stats obsessed ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home